AROUND THE HOME OR BUSINESS
- Maintain your water heater following the manufacturer's instructions.
- Wash only full loads of clothing & set the washing machine to the proper water level.
- Insulate hot water pipes.
- Look for water-efficient filtration or softening systems.
- Energy-efficient appliances are likely to be water-efficient, too.
- Know where your master shut-off valve is located. Be prepared to use it in case of a burst pipe or other emergency.
FIND LEAKS & FIX THEM QUICKLY
- Check faucets to make sure they don't leak or drip. If a faucet drips once a second, it can waste hundreds of gallons a month.
- Remember to check outdoor spigots, as well.
- Check each toilet for leaks by adding food coloring to the tank & waiting 15 minutes. If the food coloring appears in the bowl before you flush, you have a leak. Remember to flush so you don't stain the tank or bowl.
- An unusually high bill may indicate a leak in your underground supply line. The customer usually owns and is responsible for the part of the service line between the meter and the building.